Friday, August 6, 2010

The Ultimate Baked Potato


Time from Prep to Eating: 15 minutes


This is probably one of my most favorite dishes that I make. Though I don’t think I’ve met a baked potato I didn’t like…the best part about it is that it’s super simple to make.

The inspiration for this recipe comes from a restaurant dish that I stumbled upon years ago. I went to college at Oregon State University where about 40 minutes away was a restaurant that had the best, most delicious, creative, and even addictive stuffed baked potato on their menu. This wasn’t just any stuffed baked potato. It was sliced in half and topped with loads of cheese, creamy alfredo sauce, a breast of chicken, and broccoli flowerettes. I loved this potato dish so much that I would find any excuse to drive the 40 minutes to get there. Mmmmm…the memories…

Much to my disappointment, BJs Restaurant and Brewery hasn’t found its way to Virginia yet (they’re in Ohio though!), so I came up with this knock-off version several years ago to satisfy my cravings. I promise you’re going to love this recipe. And if you get the chance to visit a BJs Restaurant and Brewery, their Grilled Chicken Potato will change your life. Just be sure to finish the meal with a chocolate chunk Pizookie Trio…I have yet to master a decent knock-off of this dessert...

What You Need:
A sauté pan

The Stuff:
2 russet potatoes
2 chicken breasts, cubed into bite size pieces
1 small head of broccoli, cut into flowerettes
1 cup of your favorite alfredo sauce
¼ cup of cheddar cheese, or even parmesan cheese (freshly grated only)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder for seasoning
Chives to top

Here’s What You Do:
There are two ways to bake a potato – one takes 5 minutes, the other an hour. For this recipe, I stick to the microwave method. Wash the potato, poke the potato with the tip of a knife in several location and place in the microwave for about 5 minutes, turning once at 2.5 minutes.

In the pan, cook the cubed chicken over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes depending on the size of the cubes. During the last two minutes, add the broccoli flowerettes and cook until slightly softened. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste as it’s sautéing.

After the potatoes are cooked, place the alfredo in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for about 1 minute – stirring at 20 to 30 second intervals.

For the assembly: Slice the potato in half and top with the cheese followed by the chicken, broccoli and then alfredo sauce. Sprinkle chives for color and a faint oniony flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment