Sunday, September 12, 2010

Potato Soup

This recipe brings me back to when I was a kid, I love this soup. It’s one of my comfort foods. My mom used to make this for us on occasion growing up and I remember being so excited when she would say to us kids “potato soup for dinner.” We all loved it. When I asked my Mom for the recipe for my blog, she told me it originally came from my Aunt Patti. So, I guess you could call this a true family recipe.

I think my favorite part of the soup is the creamy broth. It’s like clam chowder but without the clammy flavor. It’s so creamy and flavorful it will knock your socks off. I was explaining it to some friends the other day and they suggested frying bacon pieces and topping the soup like you would a baked potato; bacon, cheddar cheese, onions, tomatoes, etc. I imagine transforming this into a baked potato soup would be absolutely delicious.

This was the first time I made this dish in my own home. My husband tends to not like soups so I’ve been sparing him the torture of trying this one and watching him fake the, “It’s okay I guess.” I know I say this a lot – but he really LOVED this soup. When he took the first bite his eyes lit up and he proclaimed that it’s the only soup he actually likes…he then went back for a big heaping bowl of seconds! I hope you like it too.

Time from Prep to Eating: 1.5 hours


What You Need:
Stock Pot

The Stuff:
6 russet potatoes cut into ½ inch cubes (about 2 1/2 lbs)
2 medium onions, diced
2 carrots, thinly diced
2 celery ribs, thinly diced
2 small cans of corn, drained
2 (14 oz) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
Dash of cumin
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
½ cup grated parmesan cheese

Here’s What You Do:
Combine the first 11 ingredients (potatoes to cumin) in a stock pot. Boil on med-high for 20 minutes, then reserve 1 cup of the potato, celery, onion and carrots (drained) in a separate bowl to add at the end of the cooking process. Reduce the heat to low.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and half-n-half and pour into the soup. Cover and cook another 40 minutes on low. Stir in the grated cheese until melted and add the reserved vegetables to heat through. Garnish with chives or onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment