Monday, April 12, 2010

Welcome!

So here it is, my first blog; and I’m writing about what I love most (besides my husband of course)…food! Not only do I love to eat, but I love to cook. I have spent countless hours and days watching Food Network, testing recipes, changing recipes, making new recipes, and convincing my husband to be my foodie guinea pig. As the world's most finicky eater, I can promise you that if he approves the dish, the rest of the world will too.

Now, I have never been to culinary school nor have I ever worked in a restaurant. If you’re reading this blog to uncover the tricks of the trade for cooking like a French chef, I’m sorry to say that you’ve come to the wrong place. But if you love food, love to eat, and have a yearning to discover this delicious journey called life…this is the Blogspot for you.

I’m writing to share my experiments and experiences and to inspire those who want to cook outside of the box or to-go bag. I promise to rejuvenate old recipes, bring a modern twist to classics, and test out new culinary trends. I will share my recipes, tips that I’ve discovered along the way, and, of course, my husband’s reactions!

For those who think they don’t have time to cook, the patience to try, or the know-how to just “put ingredients together,” perhaps I should tell you a few things about me first. For starters, I’m a career woman, a wife, a friend, and I try to stick to a workout routine (key word = try). I work 40+ hours a week, I don’t have a cleaning service to clean my home, and I can’t afford white truffles by the pound or Almas caviar. I’m not a cooking purist by any means; I actually like to eat out twice a week and every night I stay in doesn’t have to be a 5-star experience. I’ve been known to eat grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup on several occasions. Although kids aren’t in the picture now, they will be soon, and I intend to keep my cooking hobby alive. I’m no Julia Child, and I certainly won’t be competing to be the next Food Network Star; but I do the best with the time I have and the ingredients I can afford – and I love inspiring others to get in the kitchen and cook and sharing my recipes!

This week I’m on an Italian kick. Those that know me know that’s a rare occasion, as it’s never been on my top list of cuisines to eat, let alone cook. Give me a Mexican tamale, Lebanese fattoush salad, or German Weiner Schnitzel over a bowl of pasta any day! But this past weekend we bought two large basil plants and I found myself in the face of a challenge: Can I learn to love Italian food (or at least look forward to eating it)? My husband doesn’t like red sauce either – or tomatoes for that matter – so this was a real cooking challenge!

On the menu this week
Sunday: Grilled Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Pizza
Monday: Garlic, Salami, and Tomatoes with Pasta
Thursday: Eggplant Parmesan a la Carrie; and,
All week: Garlic butter with fresh sourdough bread

1 comment:

  1. Where is the mustard grilled cheese? The pickled bologna? The mayo garlic bread?

    ReplyDelete