Sunday, October 10, 2010

Humus

I love humus. I think it’s one of the most delicious dips on the planet. Fortunately, it’s also one of the easiest to make, cheapest to buy, and healthiest to eat as well! We should all do our part to eat more humus. Our hearts and tummies would thank us.

Now I know that I’m biased – this is after all my food blog – but I swear this is the best humus EVER. It’s got a garlicky kick so if you’re sensitive to garlic I recommend using only half of a small clove, and increase the lemon juice by ½ Tbsp to add more flavor.

If you need some ideas for how to serve humus, here are a few that I use:
-as a dip to any chip, cracker, or vegetable
-instead of mayonnaise on a sandwich, try humus instead
-bake some bread crostini’s, top with humus and roasted red pepper
-bake some bread crostini’s with melted mozzarella cheese, then dip in humus
-need a little dip or extra spice to your chicken at dinner? Dip it in some humus!

Time from Prep to Eating: 10 minutes

What You Need:
Food processor

The Stuff:
1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, reserve ¼ cup liquid but drain the rest
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoons Tahini
1 medium to large clove garlic, crushed
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pepper to taste
Drizzle with olive oil, paprika, parsley

Here’s What You Do:
Drain the chickpeas and set aside ¼ cup garbanzo liquid from can. Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until desired texture…usually about 1-2 minutes on medium to high (I prefer my humus creamy without grit).

Before you serve, sprinkle with parsley, paprika, and finish with olive oil.

1 comment:

  1. Very similar to my recipe, but I usually make it without tahini (just because I often don't have any when I feel like hummus). But you might want to correct this. It's spelled "hummus." Otherwise you have:

    humus |ˈ(h)yo͞oməs|
    noun
    the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms.

    Although that definition gives new meaning to "I prefer my humus creamy without grit." =D

    ReplyDelete